BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Super Mario One UP Nails!

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."  ~Marilyn Monroe


So lately I have been super obsessed with Super Mario! I don't know why but I love that game so much I actually went out and bought a Nintendo (the original one. For those wondering why...well we own a X Box 360 and unfortunately they do not make Mario games for it...yet!).  Not to mention it was a steal because it was only $40 with all the cables, 2 controllers, the Super Mario game with Duck Hunt and of course the gun! Any who I decided that to match my passion for this awesome game and my ringtone, notification ringtone, cell wallpaper, and the "Nintendo Addict" T-shirt my husband bought me I would do something  similar for my nails! 
So here is the finished result! It took quite a bit of practice but the final result was amazing and they look super cute! Totally matching my Super Mario passion.  So lets get started on the supplies you need and how to achieve this simple and cute Mario nail look :) (as usual purchase location and prices  for the products I used will be posted at the end)

Supplies Needed:
  • Dotting tool(it can be a toothpick, bobby pin, or actual dotting tool)
  • Base Coat
  • White nail polish
  • Black nail polish
  • Green nail polish
  • Top Coat
  • If you do not have the black and green in the art pens or art polishes(the skinny tubes with super skinny brush) you may need a skinny art brush or a toothpick
  • Tape
  • Piece or cardboard or card stock (to put polish on so you can dip your dotting tool in)
Instructions:
First make sure your nails are squared off. This look works best on squared nails, but if you do not want to its ok, it will still work. For the first step you should appy a base coat. A base coat helps the nail polish adhere better, last longer, and keeps your nail from turning yellow. I personally like to use Sally Hansen Nailgrowth Miracle. I have used this since I was 16 and love how it keeps my nails strong and helps them grow a bit faster. Base coats tend to dry fast. I believe this one dries within seconds so its a good thing.

Once you have applied the base coat to your nails grab the tape and make 2 to 3 tape strips. The tape is going to allow you to make a nice sharp straight line for the french tip. You dont need 10 strips of tape since it is reusable and will it will save you tape too. I believe I used 1 piece of tape for 3 nails and it still would have worked for 3 more.

Once you put the tape on go in with the white fingernail polish and fill in the tip. I am using Sally Hansen, Hard as Nails French White Tip polish (this came in a 3 piece kit for french manicures).
Let it dry for a while and remove the tape carefully. You may need to free hand and fill in the corners or even out the line (I suck at straight lines with anything, yet I can cut straight lines in hair...its kind of funny!).

Repeat this step on every single nail. If needed take a q-tip and dip it in some nail polish remover and clean up the straight line.

Next step is for all the nails EXCEPT the ring finger on both hands. Using the green polish remover to create a straight thin line right underneath the end of the white tip. I used Kiss Nail Art Paint. If you do not have this but do have a green polish use the tip of a toothpick or a bobbypin to make this line. Just put a dot of product on the cardboard or card stock and dip your toothpick or bobbypin in and make the line. The final result should look like the picture at the very top of this post. For some reason my computer did not like the picture and wouldnt upload it...lol.

Now onto making the One Up Mushroom. For this you will once again use the green nail polish. Starting at the left side of where the white tip ends start making a half oval.
It should look like the picture above. Next step is to fill it in with the green polish. You also want to curve it on a little on the white part like shown in the picture below.

Now using the cardstock and the white polish again we are going to place a dot of product on it.                                                 
Using the bobbypin (or whatever dotting tool you are using) dip it in the white polish and make 5 dots in the green half oval. One should be in the center close to the base. The following two are placed to the left and to the right of the initial center dot. The next two are right above the first row of dots but in between the dots. Use the picture below for referance.


We are almost done! Now taking the black polish we are going to make 2 eyes right next to the green and centered. I am using Kiss Nail Art Paint. Your results should look like the following picture.
The final step is to apply a top coat to the nail so it protects your nail art. I used Sally Hansen, Hard as Nails UV Top Coat.

Finally done! The nails should look super cute and fun! It may take a little bit of pratice but the final result is amazing! I hope you guys enjoy this nail art!!!




Price List:
*Kiss Nail Art Paint (it is a pack with 3 different colors) $6.97 (drugstore)
*Sally Hansen Manicure Kit (the kit comes with a white polish, a pink, and uv top coat that was used too) $5.48 (drugstore
*Sally Hansen Nailgrowth-about $5-$6 (drugstore)

No comments:

Post a Comment